ISLAND WRITERS (Z)
Superintendent: Susan Reed
Location: Main Building
ENTRIES DUE JULY 10, 2015
Premiums: Prize money will be awarded to Adults (18 and older) and Young Adult (11-17) only. All youth (10 and under) who enter their writing will receive a special ribbon and a prize.
* Blue $5
* Red $3
* White Ribbon only
1. Limit of four entries per person.
2. All entries must be original, unpublished writing by entrant.
3. Please submit two copies of each entry for judging purposes, unless submitted via e-mail. The title should be at the top of the first page of each copy. Your name should not appear on these copies.
4. Include one title page per entry that includes
* word count (prose) or line count (poetry),
* class and lot (see below)
* your name
* age group (adult, young adult 11-17, youth 10 and under)
* phone number and/or email address
5. All prose must include a word count
6. All poetry must include a line count
7. Any entries exceeding the established word or line count for the lot in which it is entered in will not be judged.
* Prose must be double spaced
* Poetry must be single spaced
8. Entries must be typed on 8 1/2 x 11 inch paper in 12 point font.
9. Creative nonfiction may include writing such as essays, memoirs, literary
journalism, narrative history, and travel writing.
10. Entries must be picked up on Sunday, last day of fair, from 9 a.m. to noon unless you have provided a self-addressed, stamped return envelope. Otherwise copies will be destroyed.
11. One Exhibitors Form must accompany the group of entries. Download from the link above, complete, scan and send.
12. . There will be an opportunity for winners to read their entries whenever the booth is available. Writer's choice.
E-MAIL as an attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
* IMPORTANT: You should receive an automated reply when you submit anything to this e-mail address. If you do not receive an auto-reply e-mail when you submit your entry, please contact us immediately.
MAIL ENTRIES TO:
San Juan County Fair
PO Box 1094
Friday Harbor, WA 98250
Drop off at Fair Building
Link to: Exhibitors Form, Note: Unfortunately, there is still not an online version of the Exhibitors form for you to fill out. You can print the Exhibitors form, fill it out and then send it to us or scan it and then e-mail it to us. If either of these methods is not possible, include the information asked for on the form with your entry and we will fill one out for you.
CLASS I - Prose
1. Short fiction – 1,500 words or less
2. Creative nonfiction any subject – 1500 words or less
3. Fair theme – "Strawberry Fields for-Heifer"– 750 words; creative nonfiction or fiction
4. New Language - 750 words or less, text, tweet, rap format
CLASS II - Poetry
1. Poetry, rhymed 50 lines or less
2. Poetry, unrhymed 50 lines or less
3. Fair theme —“Strawberry Fields for Heifer” – 50 lines, may be rhymed or unrhymed
CLASS III - Writing for Children
I. See Special Rules Below
A. Short fiction only
B. 1000 words or less
C. Appropriate themes, topics, and language for children
D. Target audience – children aged preschool to 8 years
E. Do not include illustrations of any kind